E. Sheldon Jones - Booster
Inducted in 1984
Not only a local judge, Ernest Sheldon Jones was a friend to every youth that played the game on the Eastern Shore. In the late 1920's and early 30's Judge Jones played sandlot baseball with local town teams, before the organized leagues came about in the absence of the Class D minor leagues. A first rate first baseman, he rarely let the team down with his bat.
Judge Jones established the E. Sheldon Jones League for youths that later became the local Colt League, the age bracket above Pony League. During World War II the Judge was a volunteer high school coach so the boys could keep playing while their regular coaches were in the service.
Jones was judge of the People's Court during the 1940's and 50's. He was known as a fair and impartial man, who could be stern when the occasion called for it. Judge Jones was a bachelor and member of several service clubs and remained a dedicated sports figure around the Shore until his death on April 30, 1983. Judge Jones was inducted into the Eastern Shore Baseball Hall of Fame in 1984 as a Booster and dedicated friend to the youths of the community.